University Public Affairs staff members regularly work with print, broadcast and electronic media from around the corner to around the world.
Virginia Commonwealth University faculty and staff are encouraged to contact University Public Affairs with information about research, special programs, accomplishments or awards —
anything deemed newsworthy.
Depending on the story and timing, University Public Affairs may do one or more of the following:
- Write and distribute a news release and/or media advisory
- Produce a video news release
- Pitch the story to reporters, editors, producers
- Promote the story as part of a trend or sidebar to a major international, national or local story
- Arrange and manage a news conference
- Write or edit an op-ed or article for targeted media
- Offer your expertise to the media for an expert opinion on a newsworthy event
University Public Affairs has particular expertise in customized crisis communications planning. In addition, University Public Affairs is available 24/7 to consult on emerging crisis communications and issues management situations.
University Public Affairs conducts customized spokesperson training — how to communicate effectively with the news media and key audiences. This training can be done on an individual or group basis.
University Public Affairs will develop a strategic communications plan, oftentimes in partnership with other areas of University Relations such as marketing or events, to support a department’s strategic plan.
VCU’s official logo and nomenclature
The VCU brand standards (logotype and bar elements) should be represented in a consistent manner providing the university with a visual signature for all Web and printed communications. For guidelines on nomenclature and to view the official logos, visit the VCU brand standards website.