Feb. 6, 2017
Brandcenter alumni shine on massive Super Bowl stage
Share this story
Virginia Commonwealth University Brandcenter alumni once again played their part in the annual spectacle that is the Super Bowl, contributing their expertise and talent to the creation of a bevy of commercials that aired around the world during Sunday’s broadcast.
As in past years, the Brandcenter, part of the School of Business, was well-represented in the parade of big-budget ads that serve as an entertaining aside to the big game itself. Ultimately, 11 Brandcenter alumni had a hand in nine of the commercials that aired during Super Bowl LI.
Below are this year’s ads with Brandcenter ties.
- Bud Light - Matt Spicer (copywriting) - W+K NYC
- NASCAR FOX Sports - Lily Fu (art direction) - Pereira & O’Dell
- Audi - Mike McGuire (copywriting) and Allison Hayes (art direction) - Venables Bell & Partners
- Toyota Mirai - Spencer Isaac (strategy) - Saatchi & Saatchi LA
- Battle of Evony - Lydia White Dunay (art direction) - Butler Shine Stern & Partners
- Hyundai - Anna Andreen (art direction) - Innocean (social, online content)
- Aflac - Marie Matuszewski (strategy) and JP Martin (strategy) - Publicis Seattle
- TurboTax - Susan Land (art direction) - Wieden + Kennedy PDX
- Sprint - George Bennett (strategy) - Droga5
For a YouTube playlist of Brandcenter alumni ads, visit
Subscribe for free to the VCU News email newsletter at http://newsletter.news.vcu.edu/ and receive a selection of stories, videos, photos, news clips and event listings in your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Subscribe to VCU News
Subscribe to VCU News at newsletter.vcu.edu and receive a selection of stories, videos, photos, news clips and event listings in your inbox.